Joseph A. Knapka
429 Palmary Drive, El Paso, TX 79912
Last updated September 24, 2011
Technologies, Platforms, and Languages
(If I've never been paid for a particular skill, I've
marked it with 0$).
Functional and logic programming
Object oriented design and development
Device control via serial and network communication media
Expert systems, including Neuron Data's Nexpert ES shell
Automatic code generation
TCP/IP (application development and administration)
Java-based technologies including Beans, JDBC, and IBM's VisualAge environment
Oracle database administration
Unix (Linux, SunOS, Solaris, OpenBSD) (administration also, especially
(For a detailed outline of my experience, see
my language collection page.)
LISP (Emacs, Common, Scheme) 0$
- Forth 0$ (I've written a Forth (or Forth-like)
compiler/interpreter/runtime for 8086/8088 PCs.)
Tcl/Tk (and [incr Tcl]/[incr Tk])
Motorola 6811 assembly 0$
Intel x86 assembly 0$
SQL, including procedural extensions Transact-SQL (Sybase) and PL/SQL
June 1993-January 1997; May 1997-Present: TransCore ITS,
Inc. (formerly JHK & Associates), Norcross, GA Current
position: Systems Engineer
Responsibilities: I gather
requirements, design, develop, and maintain software for surface
traffic management applications, such as intersection control. I've
been involved in a primary technical capacity (architecture, design,
and coding) in the following efforts:
- Control software for various roadside traffic-management devices
under OS/2, Unix, and Win32.
- Soft realtime code for device control on various platforms.
- An expert system for wide-area traffic managment.
- Network data-distribution software using NetBEUI and TCP/IP.
- Java and XML-based graphical user interfaces.
- Compilation of SQL DDL into C++/COM/ODBC database-access code.
- Compilation of SNMP MIBs from ASN.1 into an XML format suitable for use by a variety
of other tools.
- A complete management system for roadside traffic-management devices
based on SNMP.
- Administration of Sybase, Oracle, and MySQL databases.
- Administration of a Linux-based virtual private
network for telecommuting.
- XSLT for generation of DB management scripts and code
from XML DB descriptions.
January 1997-May 1997: QuadraMed, Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities: Maintained and extended QuadraMed's insurance-claim
I left TransCore for personal reasons and accepted a job with QuadraMed.
Later developments made it feasible for me to return to TransCore,
so I did so.
June 1992-May 1993: KnowledgeWare, Atlanta, GA
Responsibilities: Maintained and extended the repository-management
subsystem of KnowledgeWare's Application Development Workbench,
a full-life-cycle CASE tool.
- I've been using Linux since 1992; my first kernel build was version
0.90, I believe.
- I recently wrote a utility that I've released to the public:
mgrep.py, a grep-like tool for analyzing
block-structured text files using regular expressions. I find I
need to do that a lot.
- I also like to tinker with robots, but I
don't get to do so as much as I'd like; that's where the 6811 assembly
experience comes from.
- Recently, inspired by Leo Brodie's charming
book, "Starting Forth", I wrote a Forth-like interpreter, compiler, and
runtime environment in Intel assembly for my ancient NEC MultiSpeed
- I have done some work on
documenting the Linux kernel's memory management subsystem.
- I currently (as of September, 2011) hold the rank of San Tuan
(Black belt, 3rd degree) in American Kenpo Karate through the American Kenpo Karate Academies
of Albuquerque, NM. I am a certified AKKA instructor, but I have not
taught classes in several years.
- Recently, I renewed my study of Aikido. I currently (as of September, 2011) hold the Aikido rank of 6th Kyu (note:
this is a very low rank!) from the United States Aikido Federation.
- In 2011 through 2013, I served on the board of directors of the Unitarian Universalist
Community of El Paso, TX. During 2012 I was president of the congregation.
In September 2015, I was granted the degree of Master of Science in Bioinformatics by the University of Texas, El Paso.
University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1990-1992: I completed two years
of course work toward the degree of Master of Science, Artificial Intelligence,
with 3.97 GPA. (I did not complete the degree program.)
Morehead State University, Morehead KY, 1986-1990: Bachelor of
Science cum laude, with a double major in mathematics and English
References available upon request.